the bluebonnet norfolk terrier club
Tips On Living With Your Norfolk
Tip Of The Week
© DataDawg 2015
Content is not warranted or endorsed by The Bluebonnet Norfolk Terrier Club but is intended as a reference guide for living with Norfolks. next next previous previous The toxic principles of chocolate are the stimulants theobromine and caffeine. The amount of chocolate that it takes to poison your pet depends on the type of chocolate he's eaten and his weight. White chocolate has the least amount of stimulants and baking chocolate or cocoa beans have the highest. Once toxic levels are reached, signs of toxicity include: restlessness, hyperactivity, muscle twitching, increased urination and/or excessive panting. If your pet isn't treated, he could go into a seizure - possibly even die.
Antifreeze, which often collects on driveways and roadways, is highly poisonous. Although it smells and tastes good to your dog, it can be lethal. Winter Travel: Don't leave your dog alone in a car. If the car engine is left on, the carbon monoxide will endanger your dog's life. If the engine is off, the temperature in the car will get too cold.  Towel or blow-dry your dog if it gets wet from rain or snow. It is important to dry and clean its paws, too. This helps avoid tiny cuts and cracked pads. A little petroleum jelly may soften the pads and prevent further cracking. Feed your dog additional calories if it spends a lot of time outdoors or is a working animal. It takes more energy in the winter to keep body temperature regulated, so additional calories are necessary. Groom your dog regularly. Your dog needs a well-groomed coat to keep properly insulated. Short- or coarse-haired dogs may get extra cold, so consider a sweater or coat. Long-haired dogs should have excess hair around the toes and foot pads trimmed to ease snow removal and cleaning. If you do the trimming, take care not to cut the pads or other delicate area of the foot. Be extra careful when walking or playing with your dog near frozen lakes, rivers or ponds. Your dog could slip or jump in and get seriously injured. Winter Precautions... Adequate shelter is a necessity. Keep your dog warm, dry and away from drafts. Tiles and uncarpeted areas may become extremely cold, so make sure to place blankets and pads on floors in these areas.  Don't leave your dog outside in the cold for long periods of time. Wind chill makes days colder than actual temperature readings. Be attentive to your dog's body temperature, and limit its time outdoors.  Animals get frostbite, too. Just a short exposure to sub-zero temperatures can produce frostbite of the feet, nose or ears. Frost-bitten skin is red or gray and may peel off. Treat it by applying warm, moist towels to thaw the affected areas slowly, until the skin looks flushed. Then contact a veterinarian for further care.  Nothing's more fun than cavorting with your dog in the snow, and regular exercise is important when your pet's been house-bound much of the time. But take care that your dog isn't close enough to a frozen lake, river or pond to jump in and get injured. Black widows and brown recluse are both venomous spiders. Black widow spider venom is a nerve toxin. One bite can be sufficient to severely affect or even kill a small pet. They are typically shiny black and have a distinctive red hourglass shaped area on their stomachs. Brown recluse venom destroys the tissues surrounding the bite. With or without treatment, the wound may take weeks to heal. A distinctive fiddle-shaped mark on their back usually identifies brown recluse spiders. Prompt veterinary treatment is recommended if you suspect a venomous spider has bitten your dog. Does your dog sit in the kitchen while you cook, nibbling away as you chop onions with wild abandon? Next time be careful not to let stray onions make it past your dog's lips. Dogs and cats lack the enzyme necessary to properly digest onions and this could result in gas, diarrhea, or severe gastrointestinal distress. If large amounts of onion are ingested or onions are a daily part of your dog's diet, the red blood cells may become fragile and break apart. Severe anemia and even death can occur if the dog ingests lots of onions and receives no treatment. The most common source of onions for cats is in human baby food. Some baby foods have onion powder added for taste. When consistently fed baby food with added onion powder, signs of toxicity can develop.
About About
Links Links
History History
Breeder's Corner Breeder's Corner